PSA: It’s United Nations Day
In a real celebratory mood this month, today we’re observing United Nations Day During the last Presidential Debate, the candidates talked about Foreign Policy. And like our President we’re not politicizing it, today we’re celebrating the UN with a PSA on what is the UN anyway?!:
“The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations and promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights.
The UN has 4 main purposes
- To keep peace throughout the world;
- To develop friendly relations among nations;
- To help nations work together to improve the lives of poor people, to conquer hunger, disease and illiteracy, and to encourage respect for each other’s rights and freedoms;
- To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations to achieve these goals.
Due to its unique international character, and the powers vested in its founding Charter, the Organization can take action on a wide range of issues, and provide a forum for its 193 Member States to express their views, through the General Assembly, the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council and other bodies and committees.
The work of the United Nations reaches every corner of the globe. Although best known for peacekeeping, peacebuilding, conflict prevention and humanitarian assistance, there are many other ways the United Nations and its System (specialized agencies, funds and programmes) affect our lives and make the world a better place. The Organization works on a broad range of fundamental issues, from sustainable development, environment and refugees protection, disaster relief, counter terrorism, disarmament and non-proliferation, to promoting democracy, human rights, gender equality and the advancement of women, governance, economic and social development and international health, clearing landmines, expanding food production, and more, in order to achieve its goals and coordinate efforts for a safer world for this and future generations.”
Click here to see the membe of the UN.
Happy “Being Diplomatic” People!! xx
- PSA: “…the next President of The United States of America, PAUL RYAN” -Mitt Romney
- Giving Back to Japan
- Let’s Talk About It: “Is it 1984?!”
- If you’re in New York City this weekend…
- “Boy I think you’re special, strictly Presidential”: An Update on the 2012 Presidential Election