Recipe: Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
It’s officially fall All wardrobes should be switched by now because the weather has forced you to do so. And with temp dipping into the 50′s, I decided my diet needs to start to match my attire: warm, lol. So for this week’s recipe we have Sweet Potato Soup courtesy of SimplyRecipes.com. Plus it’s the perfect treat for the upcoming holiday season :
Ingredients (6-8 servings):
- 2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 small celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option and gluten-free stock for gluten-free version)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- The leafy tops of the celery stalks, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chopped celery stalks and leek, sauté about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, chicken stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return to pot.
- Add half and half and maple syrup and stir over medium-low heat to heat through. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool soup slightly. Cover and refrigerate soup and celery leaves separately. Bring soup to simmer before continuing.) Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with celery leaves.
Happy “Staying Warm” People!! xx
- Recipe: Garden Vegetable Soup
- Recipe: Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup
- Recipe: Tortilla and Avocado Soup
- Recipe: Tomato Soup