What Do Ya Know, It’s FNO!!
Ladies, call your beautician and schedule an appointment. Gents, tell your barber you need space in his chair asap! Dust off your favorite, comfortable, but cute, walking shoes and dawn your 2nd choice for Sunday’s best. It’s Fashion’s Night Out!
Fashion’s Night Out is a once a year event where some of our top stores open their doors to the people that keep their wallets open, the consumers aka the people that keep their shelves stocked. Designers and celebs alike, toasting to the good life – yes, champagne is served in certain stores. Event perks range from free manicures to assorted flavored macaroons being served as you waltz around doing what comes natural to us, or at least me; shop.
Last year, I stayed in Midtown and walked up and down Madison and 5th avenues, popping in and out of stores just to see what they had to offer. I must say, my favorite stop was Saks Fifth Avenue. There was something on every floor! I met Prince Amukamara, Cornerback for the NY Giants, got my picture taken and my bag signed – Thanx Prince, I took a picture with an awesome pair of Tom Ford shades and entered into a contest to win them. Lastly, I got to sashay down the ‘catwalk’ in the shoe department, receiving commentary from the judges along the lines of FAB, WORK IT, and YES! *queue Jeremih* “I thought I told ya, I’m a star!”
With all that happened last year, I’m stoked to see what this go ‘round has in store. While I’ll be taking my talents to SoHo, I didn’t want to leave you all without giving the scoop on a few happenings, chances of celeb sightings and a way for you to map your own FNO adventure:
- Calling all 80s babies! Alice and Olivia by Stacey Bendet located at 80 West 40th Street will give you the opportunity to dance the night away, as you enjoy their sweet treats and watch slumber party chick flicks. From Braid Bars to Tattoo Booths, they will be making over their FNO guests all night long!
- Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres and music, O MY! On-air fashion personality and expert stylist, Mary Alice Stephenson will be at the Ann Taylor flagship store located at 645 Madison Avenue offering tips to passerbys.
- Happy Birthday Bergdorf Goodman! Since 1901, Bergdorf has been supplying us with some of the best in fashion. Stop by their 5th Avenue location and have your book, “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman” in tow to have it signed; while you rub elbows with some of fashion’s must-knows. You may even score a picture with them at their Photos and Party event on 5.
- Things are booming at Bloomies! Whether you stop in at the Lexington or Soho store, learn to cook and feel like a pop star with your Lady Gaga purchase. After it’s all done, get a half-priced Fresh Pink-Tini at David Burke – yummm.
- The gift that keeps on giving! C. Wonder, located at 72 Spring Street, will be handing out different colored balloons to their guests. Cute, but not enough? Well, come back with your balloon and find out your prize, based on the color! SWEET! I’ll be making two trips there personally.
- Is Brooklyn in the house?! Without a doubt! Dekalb Market will be showing off their local vendors and entrepreneurs; filled with fun, drinks and entertainment at 138 Willoughby Street, in Brooklyn, NY. Stop by and check out the rising stars!
- These shoes were made for walking and that’s what Famous Footwear wants you to do! Come to their store located on 250 West 34th Street and catch a ride on their tour bus! While you’re cruising, you’re also entering for a chance to win complimentary shoes for a year!
- Three words – Lana. Del. Ray. Stop by H&Ms 1328 Broadway store to find your look and enter to win a private performance by Lana. Didn’t find what you want at ‘this’ H&M? No worries, they’ll have a double-decker bus to shuttle you around to their other locations.
- What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas – unless of course Vegas comes to NY. Henri Bendel’s 712 5th avenue location is bringing Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity to their stores, offering a performance around the Casino theme. Enjoy food truck appetizers and drinks, courtesy of The Mulberry Project’s mixologists.
- 611 5th Avenue, home of Saks Fifth Avenue, has done it again. EVERY FLOOR has something for everyone! Crayola corners, smokey eye stations, Rachel Roy (and her fabulous shoes), Oscar de la Renta (and his amazing dresses). Last year’s fan favorite is definitely a site for sore eyes.
As luck would have it, the weather shows New York City at a high 87 degrees with 20% chance of rain – ideal weather to enjoy a good night out. I think I’m also personally stopping by The Spa at Trump (246 Spring Street) to get a flat iron/curl combination before I hit the mean streets of New York for my “night out”. Another store I’m definitely stopping in would be Triple L Society – Live Life Lavish. A new joiner to the FNO scene; his store located at 34 Vandam Street, will have some cool stitches for the everyday shopper who wants to live life, lavishly – You like what I did there right?
Want to know what else is happening at FNO? Check out the site and plan your evening with this handy site: FashionsNightOut.com
Look out for me on the town and send me your FNO pictures @ BrooklynsSweetheart@dynamomagazine.com for our Facebook and Twitter page!
- Do you know “Who.A.U”???
- World Akcent Artisan Marketplace in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn!
- Dynamo Fashion 101: Spring 2011 Trends
- Dynamo Fashion 101: “Watch out for the big girls”
- “…On That Independent Stuff”: Tonya Alexis