PSA: “…the next President of The United States of America, PAUL RYAN” -Mitt Romney
Some of you are confused by that quote above and others just scared of the possibilities. Paul Ryan is not running for President of the United States yet, but is instead the running mate to Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney. You may have made your mind up already in this years upcoming Presidential election, but one thing is clear – You need to know who Paul Ryan is if you care anything about your future here in the good old U.S. of A.
Ryan, 42, is a Representative for Wisconsin’s 1st congressional district and a leading voice in the Republican Party as Chairman of the House Budget Committee. He was elected at 28 years of age to the House of Representatives in 1998, and has become what many describe as the “intellectual leader of the Republican Party” and a favorite of the Tea Party movement. His status within the party is largely centered around his ‘Path to Prosperity’ budget draft introduced in fiscal year 2012, as a counter to President Obama’s doomed proposal in the same year. Ryan’s ‘Path to Prosperity’ laid out a plan to dramatically slash spending on entitlement programs over the next 10 years, while repealing OBAMACARE. One of the most controversial elements of the Ryan’s plan was to replace the current Medicare program with a voucher program which seniors could use towards purchasing private insurance for themselves.
Congressman Ryan’s reputation as a budget hawk is only preceded by his ultra conservative stance on abortion. A topic that has been highlighted in this election after some controversial comments made by a Missouri Congressman Todd Akin during a recent interview in which he was asked of his feelings on abortion rights for women who have been raped. The Congressman answered that “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down” immediately sparking outrage from a slew of critics, including the Romney campaign who condemned the comments. Ryan on the other hand had to address his past association with Congressman Akin in 2011 in co-sponsoring a bill (The No Tax Payer Funding For Abortion Act), which used the term “forcible rape,” in describing the only exceptions to the federal government funding for abortions. The the term forcible rape ignited an outcry among critics, who contended that the phrase would exclude victims of statutory rape or rapes involving drugs. The bills language was changed and still never passed, nonetheless Congressman Ryan’s connections to it and to Todd Akin have brought the issue of abortion into this Presidential election. When asked about it, Ryan stated the following: “I’m proud of my pro-life record and I stand by my pro-life record in Congress. But Mitt Romney is the top of the ticket and Mitt Romney will be President and he will set the policy of the Romney administration.” Draw your own conclusions.
November 2012 is going to be an election pitting two clear visions of what America should be and how it should be run. Paul Ryan’s selection as VP is at the very least a sign that Governor Romney is seeking to distinguish himself from that of our current President. His Vice Presidential choice points to a willingness to consider bold ideas; some may even call it radical or even necessary actions to help control government spending at the federal level, while limiting federal government interference in free enterprise and in the many social issues affecting our daily lives – abortion and marriage being exceptions to that rule in a Romney-Ryan White House, of course. The choice is a easy one for me. How about you?
6 Facts About Paul Ryan:
- Ryan is a fitness buff, standing at 6′ 2″, 163 lbs w/ an athlete level 6-8% body fat.
- He is reportedly a big P90X enthusiast who leads fellow Congressman in the routine.
- He has expressed a love for deer hunting with both shotgun and hunting bow, in fact he once petitioned successfully to get the excise tax by the IRS lowered on arrows.
- Ryan’s college sweetheart was a black woman named Deneeta Pope, and his sister in law is African-American as well.
- Oprah Winfrey, Tom Selleck, Adam Lambert, Paul Ryan and myself were all born on January 29th.
- Ryan is a fan of Ayn Rand, whose objectivist philosophy he has expressed an admiration for. He reportedly requires members of his staff to read ‘Atlas Shrugged‘.
- Fast Facts On: “10 Things You May Not Know About Mitt Romney”
- Let’s Talk About It: “Is President Obama just being a politician?!”
- “Happy Birthday America!!”: A Birthday Card from Dynamo!
- Let’s Talk About It: Rape v. “Rape Rape” or “Rape”ish
- PSA: Always read the fine print!!