Recipe: A Twist On Pizza . . . . .
Did someone say it’s a three day weekend? Yup, it sure is!!!! There is nothing better than the feeling of knowing you have a day off, a paid day off at that, well hopefully. Ok, so maybe I’m lying, even better than this three day weekend and my day off on Monday is what it represents. Everyone that knows me knows how much of a food addict I am. And with Memorial Day being this weekend, it’s the kickoff to summer. In Erin’s world that means B-B-Q! Yes I am an addict for a hot dog off the grill and definitely a burger or two.
Although definitely not barbeque friendly I would have to say one of my all time favorite foods is pizza. However, I hate eating it in the summer. It can be a real weigh down on a hot summer day. Recently I stumbled on a creative way to eat pizza in the summer without it being a real drag on your body. On DisneyFamilyFun.com, they had a “Pizza Salad” that’s not only simple but very quick to make. I know pizza is one of the greatest things ever invented, well at least to me lol, and what better than to eat one of New York’s all time classics in a healthier and lighter way in my favorite season of all time? Enjoy!
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella
- 1/3 cup thin pepperoni slices, quartered
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced olives, drained
- Small head of leafy lettuce
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- ITALIAN DRESSING
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl and whisk the mixture well.
- Add the mozzarella, pepperoni, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper, and olives to the bowl and toss the mixture to distribute the dressing.
- Serve the salad on a bed of lettuce and top it with croutons just before eating.
- Recipe: Homemade Pizza
- Recipe: Strawberry Mojitos
- Recipe: BBQ Ribs
- Recipe: Oven Fried Mozzarella Sticks
- Recipe: Sangria