PSA: “Keeping Your Fruits and Veggies Healthy and Safe”
- Be sure that the produce you are buying is not bruised or damaged
- Any produce that is pre-cut and/or packaged should be in the refrigerated section of the store..if not..Run away!
- Wash ALL produce (with the exception of pre-cut, ready to eat, or already washed)! Even produce with rinds that are not eaten such as Watermelon, Cantaloupe, etc. (think about it, they grow in the dirt, if you don’t wash them first and just cut into them, anything that was on the outside, is now transferred to the inside…)
- RUB Firm Produce under running tap water and Dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
- If using a produce cleaner, only use products sold for the purpose of washing produce. Even with those products, read the label.
- Whether in the shopping cart, in your fridge, or cooking at home, keep fresh produce separated from raw meats, poultry and seafood.
- Don’t use the same cutting board that you use for meat, poultry or seafood for your produce. If you must, cut up produce first, wash the board and after using it for meat, wash the board thoroughly. I recommend getting a second board.
- Test: The Only Fruits and Vegetables that NEED to be chilled are cut and cooked Fruits and Vegetables. Refrigerate cut, peeled or cooked produce within 2 hours.
- Cut, Peeled or Cooked produce that have been sitting out for more than 2 hours.
- Remove bruised or damaged portions of produce before cooking or eating them raw.
- Get rid of any produce that has touched raw meat, poultry or seafood (not if you are cooking them together)
- If in Doubt, throw it out!
Happy “Keeping Your Fruits and Veggies Fresh”!! xx
- PSA: 10 Healthy Coping Skills
- PSA: If you don’t want diabetes, make sure you have a balanced diet!!
- PSA: “Top 5 Ways to Winterize Your Skin”