Recipe: Tomato Soup
The constant rain has been a damper to our last days of summer. And the perfect treat after a cold, wet commute home is tomato soup So for this week’s recipe we have Rachael Ray’s “Quick Creamy Tomato Soup” courtesy of FoodNetwork.com:
- 2 (15-ounce) containers, chicken or vegetable stock/broth (preferred brand: Kitchen Basics)
- 1 (28-ounce) can concentrated crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 20 leaves fresh basil, cut into chiffonade, for garnish
- Soup toppers, for garnish (optional)
- Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan over moderate heat.
- When soup bubbles, stir in heavy cream and reduce heat to low.
- Season with a little salt and pepper and simmer gently 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion blender puree soup.
- Serve bowls of soup with basil chiffonade and floating soup toppers.
Plus what would tomato soup be without grilled cheese soup toppers:
- 4 slices crusty bread, 4 inches across, 1/4-inch thick-slice artisan breads at counter in market
- 2 cloves cracked fresh garlic, optional
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound shredded cheese to compliment your soup: provolone, Asiago, cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, etc.
Toast bread slices in your toaster until golden. Rub the toasted bread rounds with crushed garlic, if using. Arrange bread on cookie or baking sheet. Drizzle each slice with extra-virgin oil and top with a grind of black pepper and a layer of shredded cheese. Place under hot broiler to melt cheese until toppers are golden brown in color.
Happy “Staying Warm and Dry” Ladies!! xx
- Recipe: Garden Vegetable Soup
- Recipe: Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Recipe: Chicken Tacos
- Recipe: Pina Coladas
- Recipe: “Turkey Burger Sliders and Sweet Potatoe Fries”